We exist to innovatively and cooperatively plan, develop and manage software applications and websites for other County departments in order to improve workflow processes so that Cook County residents’ and businesses’ needs for simple, responsive, transparent and cost-effective government administration are met.
The Department of Technology Policy and Planning helps improve the effectiveness and efficiency of Cook County government by providing technology leadership, oversight, products and services. The Department partners with Cook County departments and agencies in the design, development, deployment and support of mainframe, midrange, distributed and web-based applications.
The Department includes the following business units:
1. Office of the Chief Information Officer: Works with agencies, bureaus and officials to develop the County’s strategic technology plan and implement and manage technology solutions to support the County’s business functions.
2. Program Management: This new unit will help ensure a more consistent delivery of services to the Bureau of Technology’s users and its partners.
3. Web Services: Includes web development, website support and new media services. In 2010, demand for online and web-enabled services (especially in the area of new media) increased dramatically.
4. Application Management: The Department has been realigned to leverage staff expertise in the areas of Finance, Real Estate, and Justice, helping to drive toward the goal of delivering more interoperable solutions and shared services for Cook County's business operations.
5. Business Administration: Supports the other business units and departments within the Bureau of Technology with administrative and legislative support services.
Implemented a new web-based recruiting system for the Bureau of Human Resources.
Provided online public information on payments to vendors who sell to Cook County for the Bureau of Finance.
Implemented a new off-the-shelf case management system for the Office of Adoption and Child Custody Advocacy.
Worked jointly with the Cook County Treasurer and Clerk to develop needed enhancements to the County's property management system.
Implemented West Nile tracking portal for the Cook County Department of Public Health.
Develop and promulgate County-wide standards for IT project governance and project management.
Consolidate and enhance web development and content management capabilities to support County-wide New Media initiatives.
Implement rapid application development methodologies and tools.
Conduct Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) readiness assessment and plan for County-wide ERP selection and implementation.
Support transparency initiatives including online ethics training, online procurement and contracts information, and online video streaming of County Board meetings.
Technology, Bureau of
69 West Washington Suite 2700